The town spreads out in a panoramic position in the foothills of Mount Sant’Elia, on the south-western edges of the Gennargentu massif. Meana Sardo is a town with a population of less than 2000 in the Barbagia di Belvì area, which is documented as far back as the 12th century. Its convivial, welcoming spirit comes out every year at the beginning of October in the Domos Antigas, an event that is part of the Autunno in Barbagia circuit. The whole town is involved: the cortes courtyards are opened along with the cellars of the ancient stone houses, decorated in Aragonese style, with local agricultural and craft products on display. Don't miss the cheese festival at the end of June (during the celebrations for San Giovanni), where you can taste pecorino and other traditional cheeses. In the centre, at the top of a flight of stairs, stands the parish Church of San Bartolomeo Apostolo, built in the late 16th century on the site of an earlier building, mentioned in a document dated 1341, of which no traces now remain. The three-nave structure combines elements of Aragonese-Gothic and Renaissance style. The portal, with its sculpted columns and bas-reliefs on the bell tower depicting folk art, is very characteristic. The patron saint is celebrated at the end of August. The Church of San Salvatore, on the other hand, may date back to the 15th century. The tiny Church of Sant’Antonio hosts the Fuochi di SantAntonio Abate bonfire in mid-January, accompanied by pastries and wine.