A medieval village perched on a green limestone hill dominated by the Castello della Fava, from which you can admire the splendid panorama of the sea and the surrounding plain. Posada is one of the most beautiful places on the eastern coast and excels for its history, culture and landscapes, to the point that it belongs to the club of the most beautiful villages in Italy and it has also been awarded the Orange Flag.
It was built on the ashes of a Carthaginian colony, known as Feronia: in fact, it is one of the most ancient villages on the Island (5th-4th century BC). In vogue, during the Giudicati period, it ended with the advent of the Saracen pirates, who caught sight of it from the sea, like a treasure. The country today still has a Medieval charm and looks like a stone maze made up of intricate alleys, steep flights of steps, arches and unexpected little squares, as if the architecture itself were telling the tale of escapes and reprisals.
A visit to the castle is a must. It was built by the judges of Gallura just before 1200 and was conquered by those of Arborea and then by the Aragonese Crown. Today, the castle is still standing, along with the restored ruins of the boundary wall: a wooden staircase leads to the top of the tower, from which you can see the entire territory. According to legend, the inhabitants of the castle, which was besieged by the Turks, gave their last food, a broad bean, to a pigeon. This is how it got its name. Also worthy of a visit is the parish church of Sant'Antonio Abate, patron saint of the village, dating back to 1324 and rebuilt in the seventeenth century. The best time for a visit is during the celebrations in its honour in January, with huge bonfires and impressive processions.
The nearby coast is heavenly: the beach of San Giovanni di Posada is a stretch of soft, golden sand that is bathed by a turquoise sea; that of Su Tiriarzu has crystal clear water and white sand, surrounded by mountains and framed by white lilies.