Its name means ‘the place of walnut trees’, which were once very common in this part of the Sulcis. Nuxis is a town of 1,500 inhabitants, independent municipality since 1958, enclosed by two rivers and set among the ruins of its past: prehistoric sites, one of the oldest Christian churches on the island and industrial archaeology sites, an inheritance of a history of mining. Today, the town’s main income comes from farming and animal husbandry, in addition to two remaining active mines: Mount Tamara and Truba Niedda, where prized minerals, particularly black marble, are extracted. The mining activity, now in sharp decline, has gone on for thousands of years, as seen from dozens of abandoned mines. However, there is a considerable revival of textile arts, basket weaving, and knife and musical instrument making.