More than six hundred thousand bibliographic units, including more than six thousand autographs and manuscripts, almost six hundred codices and more than two hundred incunambula, including the oldest printed edition of the Carta de Logu - a code of laws in force in the Sardinian giudicati in the Middle Ages -, some very rare works from the 15th century and a codex of the Divine Comedy dated between the 14th and 15th centuries. The University Library of Cagliari is a prestigious 'guardian' of the written memory of the Island, thanks to its large collection of volumes and prints and the charm of the building and its furnishings. Founded in 1764, during the reign of Charles Emmanuel III of Savoy, it is located inside the University Palace, above the Balice Bastion. Originally, the complex was to comprise three buildings: the University and Tridentine Seminary buildings and, between them, a theatre, which was never realised. The library was housed in the Sala Grande, now the 'eighteenth-century hall', but over time it acquired new spaces in both buildings.