The town climbs up the Campeda plateau, about half way between Macomer, 12 kilometres away, and Bosa, 17 kilometres away. Sindia is a shepherding town of 1700 inhabitants. It has been a crossroads of strategic importance between Planargia, to which it belongs, Marghine and Montiferru since Antiquity, as seen from the various Roman ruins, especially from segments of secondary roads and ruins of bridges over Oinu and Riu Carrabusu. Pottery fragments and Roman burials were also found in three of the approximately 40 nuraghes in the area (Sa Mandra, Sant’Arvara and Corizanas). The monumental Santa Barbara Nuraghe rises from among the pastures and cork oak woods. The most significant artefact of the Nuragic civilisation is the Furrighesu Giants Tomb, dating to sometime between the Middle and Late Bronze age: its corridor, funerary chamber and part of the exedra are intact. Nearby, stand a nuraghe and a dolmen of the same name. The garden of an 19th century noble residence, Casa Virdis, contains an homonymous nuraghe, also known as Gianbasile. The initial Sindia residential area of pinnettas (traditional cone-shaped shepherd houses) likely radiated around it and the areas of Coa Pira and Maraseche.