Its ancient history runs parallel to that of nearby Siamanna, to which it was joined until 1975, when they became independent municipalities. Siapiccia was founded as a garrison town along a Roman road, the via (s’ia in Campidonese) that led from Usellus to Forum Traiani (Fordongianus), along the western slope of Mount Arci. The second half of its name (piccia, small) derives from this road being a smaller, secondary road with respect to the manna (big) road, along which Siamanna is located. The village, with less than 400 inhabitants, stands at the border of the Campidano plain of Oristano Province, from which it is 18 kilometres away, by the western slope of Monte Grighine and at the gates of the Barigadu historical territory. It’s an area rich in outcrops of quartzite, which was once used to obtain tinctorial materials, and in thermal springs: the most well-known are the therapeutic Sa Mitza de S’acqua Callenti thermal spring, and the microbiologically pure S’Arrogana Spring. The mountain, with its weathered rocks and at times impenetrable Mediterranean shrubs, dominates the landscape.
The town’s income comes primarily from shepherding and farming, particularly from the cultivation of wheat and barley. In its highest point, corresponding to the town centre, stands the Parish of San Nicolò di Bari. Consecrated in 1605, it houses a beautiful marble altar depicting the church’s patron saint, whose Feast Day is on December 6. A little over a month later, other religious festivities are held: Madonna del Rimedio on January 8 and the Fires of Sant’Antonio Abate on January 16-17.
The area surrounding Siapiccia has been inhabited since times significantly preceding the Roman Empire, certainly during the Phoenician and Punic periods, from which numerous burial sites and graffiti remain, and earlier still, during the Neolithic and Bronze ages, as seen from scattered evidence, especially from the ruins of nuraghes. During the Medieval Period, the town was initially under the control of Giudicato of Arborea and then under the Marquisate of Oristano.