Surrounded by the Mandrolisai forests, this is the most western town in Barbagia. Ortueri is a medieval town with a population of more than 1000, strongly marked by the Roman civilisation, whose remains are spread throughout the territory, including the Pedra Litterada and the sarcophagi dedicated to the gods Mani di Prani e Laccos. It is no coincidence that the original village was located between Travi and Alas Ruinas, an old Roman colony. Today, the old houses in the town centre are piled up against the hillside of sa Serra, laid out around the ancient parish church of San Nicolò. The church, which dates back to the 18th or 19th century, has a majestic, 38 metre-high bell tower.