Calasetta’s history began in 1769 with 38 families of coral (and later tuna) fishermen originally from Pegli but arriving from the Tunisian island of Tabarka. Having already founded Carloforte, they asked King Emmanuel to settle the southern coast of the Island of Sant’Antioco as well. The 130 Tabarkian newcomers settled at Cala de Sada, opposite the Island of San Pietro, along the migration route of tuna. Fishing for this fish made the towns of Carloforte and Calasetta famous and has played a central role in their delicious cuisines. Later, settlers from Piedmont arrived bringing with them important grape cultivation techniques, which made the production of the famous Carignano del Sulcis possible. Last to arrive were settlers from Sicily. Today, three thousand inhabitants live in Calasetta, the second largest town after Sant’Antioco on the archipelago’s largest island. Here, the original Tabarkian and Ligurian traits, including the language, have remained unaltered. The town, with its extremely regular and ordered layout, stretches down a hill that descends to the port.