Perching 300 metres above sea level on undulating hills, it prevails over the Ottana plain between Lago Omodeo and the Marghine range, dominated by the imposing Gennargentu massif. The Villa di Noragugume has just over 300 inhabitants, dedicated mainly to livestock, forming part of any authentic village in Italy. The name derives from a Nuraghe structure shaped like a cauldron that stood near the centre. The origins of the village are prehistoric, whilst the current town, well-structured and decorated with murals, dates back to the 15th century with the Chiesa di Santa Croce at its heart, consecrated in 1593. In addition to the modern parish of San Giacomo – the patron saint celebrated in late July – two other churches are of considerable importance. On the outskirts is the ancient country church of San Michele and in the central piazza, that of the Beata Vergine d’Itria, with a Gothic-Catalan layout (1623).