The relationship is eternal, renewed every year by a ritual that has remained unchained for centuries: 15 days after Easter, the simulacrum of Sant’Antioco leaves the church, located at the highest point of the town, and is taken in procession through the city. Although ancient Sucis and its port had been an episcopal seat since 484, the first mention of the Sant’Antioco basilica dates back to 1089, when the judge of Cagliari donated it to the Vittorini monks of Marseilles. It was originally cruciform. Today its plant is longitudinal, with three naves and as many aisles, a central apse and a transept as long as the hall. Two side naves have been added, those, too, with apses. The structural change has kept art historians busy in various interpretations of the monument, identified as the place of martyrdom of Sant’Antioco, born in Mauritania and exiled in Sardinia.