Luras, in upper Gallura, stands on a granite hillock at the north-eastern edge of the Limbara plateau at an altitude of 508 m. It was once known as Villa Lauras or Oppidum Luris, from “lura” (wineskin) or “laurus” (laurel) and its origins seem to suggest that it was “one of the five colonies” founded by the Etruscans on the Island after 862 BC, or it was founded by a part of the 4,000 Jewish colonies deported to Sardinia by Emperor Tiberius in 19 AD. It was cited for the first time in the “Carta Pisana” of 1300, which listed all the “Ville” of the “Giudicato” subdivided into “Curatorie”; Luras was part of the “Curatoria” of Gemini Josso. During the “Giudicato” and the Spanish-Aragonese period, a number of villages rose up in the area of Luras, which were then abandoned due to outbreaks of plague, famine and barbaric raids; these were “Silonis”, “Canaili” and “Carana”.
Luras was part of the Marquisate of Gallura until 1839 and this was the moment when it reached a certain economic well-being, due to the development of trade alongside farming, when the people of Luras sold their products all over the Island and elsewhere: the “berrittas” (the old traditional headdress of the male costume ), wool, leather, cork and iron objects, cloth, wine, brandy, cheese and corn. Nowadays, its economy is based on farming, breeding, on the working of cork and granite and on vine-growing. In fact in the area we find extensive vineyards, which are the largest and perhaps the best cultivated in the whole of the upper Gallura area, producing wines which are esteemed both at home and afar: Vermentino, Moscato and the extremely famous Nebiolo di Luras. The Confraternity of the Nebiolo is extremely active and is responsible for promoting local foods and wines.