The bay of Cala Lunga, in the locality of La Punta on the Island of San Pietro, is a rock cliff which plunges down into the sea. Its waters are of a changing blue due to the plays of light created by the sun reflecting off the sea bed. The bay is positioned between La Punta and Le Tacche Bianche, this latter an imposing vertical cliff.
Out to sea, some few hundred metres from the shore, fishing nets can be seen which are used to catch the precious tuna fish which is exported from the Island of Carloforte as far as Japan, one of this activity’s best clients.
The Island of San Pietro also includes the two smaller islands of Piana and Topi, and is separated from the Island of Sant’Antioco by the Colonne channel. Its coastline is jagged with caves and vertical cliffs but more sandy on the western side. The only town is Carloforte, founded in 1738 by a group of Ligurian fishermen hailing from Tabarka in Tunisia. The town can be reached from Calasetta and Portovesme in about 30 minutes by ferry.