The crystal-clear sea became an insuperable, natural barrier to reinforce the blue bars on the prison buildings, which over the years gradually changed the topology.
Originally, the Island was used to quarantine the crews of ships that were suspected of having contagious diseases on board. In 1915, Austro-Hungarian prisoners were deported there. It then became an agricultural penitentiary and after World War II it was well-known to many because it hosted “excellent prisoners”, from the Red Brigade terrorists of the Seventies to members of the mafia in solitary confinement from 1992.
Today, the Island is a National Park protected by strict laws that preserve the inestimable treasures of its landscape and fauna.